Translate

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 24, 2019

The Shroud of Turin, Coins in the Eyes

For a few years, now, I have known about the images of coins found in the eyes of the image of the man in the famous Shroud of Turin. I have wanted to research a bit more on the subject before writing anything on it, but I haven’t really found the time. This is not the first time I write about the Shroud on this blog, and it may not be the last because I am always following new developments with relevance to the Shroud. So, I will normally try posting any updates on the subject, sooner or later. I am one of those that believes in the authenticity of The Shroud of Turin.

I came across a related article from 2017 on Aleteia and decided to share with the readers. The following is an excerpt from the article.

"In an interview with RCF Liège, the numismatist Agostino Sferrazza addressed the old question on the coins that cover the eyes of the Man of the Shroud. According to his conclusions, these pieces must have been coined in the days of Pontius Pilate, circa the year 29. This could constitute an additional proof of the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin (aleteia.org)."


I suppose the foregoing gives the basic idea of what the article is about. I will not go into many details since I prefer that one gets the information from the referenced article. I will say, however, that it is believed the coins were “leptons: small coins of low value that were common in Palestine in Roman times. “It is also believed the pieces were coined in 29 AD. I don’t think I need to explain that this year coincides with the time Jesus began his ministry, and with the time of his crucifixion. Anyhow, thank you for reading, and enjoy the article. The link is below. 


Coins of the Shroud of Turin Identified--Aleteia










Reference:




No comments: